Bringing offenders to justice is pointless if these same criminals go on to offend again. Currently 60% reoffend within 2 years of release.
Leeds and the West Yorkshire area in general, has one of the highest rates of burglary in the country, and given the significant number of burglaries one offender can commit, the cost saving benefits for addressing a particular type of crime are substantial.
We have made some calculations to emphasise the impact Tempus Novo has working with one individual over the course of just 1 month.
• Cost of Burglary = £5,930
• Estimated Offences Per Week = 7
• Estimated Cost Per Week = £41,050
• A 4 Week Crime Spree Approximate Costs = £166,040
(Home Office Report July 2018 “The economic and social costs of crime”)
The Billion Pound Problem
Between 1993 and 2014 the prison population in England and Wales in- creased by more than 40,000, a 91% rise. As of May 2017, the prison population in England and Wales was 85,763.
- At an average annual cost per prison place of £35,182, this represents a total cost to the taxpayer in excess of £3 billion per year.
- The cost of re-offending is greater still; re-offending is calculated as costing the economy an estimated £18 Billion per year. (Ministry of Justice Analytical Report 2019)
- Re-offending rates in the UK remain far too high; 50% of adults are re-convicted within one year of release. For those serving sentences of less than 6 months this increases to 64%.
- In 2013-14 only 25% of prisoners entered employment upon release from prison. Just 12% of those ex-offenders referred to the Government’s Work Programme have secured employment that they have held for 6 months or more.
Our Impact in Numbers
In 2018 From January to December we have placed 103 ex-offenders into employment.
From May 2014 to December 2018...
- Tempus Novo has interviewed and assessed 837 offenders
- Tempus Novo has helped 254 of those on our programme secure interviews for jobs, out of which 249 got the job, so a 98% success rate.
- 42 of this 249, or 17% have been categorised as Priority and Prolific Offenders (PPOs), those most embedded into the cycle of crime. Although PPO’s only make up 10% of all criminals they actually commit 50% of all crime.
- 15 of the 249 have since been returned to custody that’s just 6.2%.
- Of the first 141 placed into work, prior to engaging with Tempus Novo, this group have a combined total of 2075 previous convictions. The cost to our community of their criminal activity when using £65,000 per conviction equates to a staggering £134.9 million. Since working with TN the group have only had 89 convictions. That amounts to a 96.2% reduction in convictions (figures taken from the Police National Database).
- As a result of sustainable employment the re-offending rate using return to custody pre and post Tempus Novo drops by 96.2% to an unbelievable conviction rate of 3.8%.
Join us in…
• Reducing Crime
• Reducing The Number Of Victims
• Making Our Streets Safer
• Reducing The Burden On The Economy
• Mending Broken Families